Wednesday, July 05, 2006

MUSIC: My Morning Jacket (Live @ High Sierra Music Festival in Quincy, California)



This weekend's High Sierra Music Festival in Quincy, California was a rousing success. Many, many excellent bands, lots of amazing folks, and some memorable moments. At the top of my list sits the performances of My Morning Jacket (which isn't a big surprise). They played two sets, one late-night on Friday (June 30) and then again on Saturday (July 1) evening. Both ran around 2 hours and it was consistently mind-blowing. The Saturday night venue suited MMJ perfectly, as they played on the main stage situated in a valley among the Sierra Nevada mountains. The sound was epic and it seemed like they played with a little extra energy, even though they rarely leave anything on the table. Here's the setlists from the two shows:

Friday, June 30, late night show
1. Steam Engine
2. Gideon
3. The Dark
4. Lowdown
5. One Big Holiday
6. Off The Record
7. Evelyn Is Not Real
8. What A Wonderful Man
9. Heartbreakin' Man
10. Golden>
11. Jam>
12. Dondante
13. Lay Low
14. Phone Went West
15. Mahgeetah
ENCORE
16. Bermuda Highway
17. The Bear
18. O Is The One That Is Real
19. Anytime

Saturday, July 1, Main Stage
1. Wordless Chorus
2. It Beats 4 U
3. Gideon
4. What A Wonderful Man
5. One Big Holiday
6. I Will Sing You Songs
7. The Way That He Sings
8. Masterplan
9. Golden
10. Hopefully
11. Just One Thing
12. Xmas Curtain
13. Off The Record
14. Lay Low
15. Dondante
16. Dancefloors
17. Run Thru
ENCORE
18. At Dawn
19. Anytime
20. Mahgeetah


Many of the bands allowed High Sierra to record the shows and then sell the live performances, but MMJ didn't do this. I'll keep an eye out for any recordings, and if you see them please let me know. I'll be posting some other thoughts in the festival and introducing some new bands that found me throughout the week.

And, not to leave you all empty-handed, here's a couple of my favorite live MMJ tracks.

[Live @ The Quest Club in Minneapolis, 2005-10-29]
::: My Morning Jacket - Lay Low (live)
::: My Morning Jacket - Off The Record (live)
::: My Morning Jacket - Dondante (live)

You can buy all of MMJ's stellar albums at Insound, who are incidentally having a little summer sale of their own. Here's two discount codes, so order away:
ilovesummer10 (10% off any order)
ilovesummer15 (15% off any order over 50 bucks)
Free shipping on orders over $30 as well, which is icing on the proverbial cake.

[Photo credit goes to me and my flickr account. Check out the awesome pose Jim James hits as the show comes to an end. Awesome.]