Friday, September 14, 2007

SHOWS: Wolf Parade / Handsome Furs / Sunset Rubdown



Treading dangerously close to the territory forged in a previous post, I bring you some odds and ends centering around the boys from Wolf Parade. One might ask why I'd do such a thing, and the answer is quite simply: they're dominating my musical attention right now (for reasons highlighted below).

Reason #1: I attended quite possibly the best concert of my last two years this past Wednesday at Great American Music Hall in San Francisco, at which Wolf Parade blew my feeble mind. I missed their last time through SF (unavoidable) so when all my friends sang their praises, I was left in the lurch. Well, lurch no more, as I got to experience their brilliance first-hand.
::: Wolf Parade - Shine a Light (from AttQM)
[Buy the album on vinyl here.]

Reason #2: I just purchased tickets to see my first Handsome Furs show, which occurs this coming Monday evening at The Rickshaw Stop. Fellow WP side project Johnny and the Moon will be opening (and I'm excited about that). Seriously, their debut album blows my skirt way up and will most definitely fall in the Top 10 of my nonexistent Top 10 list (how anti-blogger!).
::: Handsome Furs - In The Radio's Hot Sun (from Plague Park)
[Buy the album here.]

Reason #3: Filling out my social calender for October, I also got me some tickets for Sunset Rubdown at The Independent (on Sunday the 21st). Again, with JatM opening no less! Bonus points for walking distance to the venue from where I often lay my head.
::: Sunset Rubdown - A Day In The Graveyard II (from 2006 EP)
[Pre-order the new album here and receive a free advance digital copy plus a free limited edition lithograph. I actually did this myself.]

[Download Music from eMusic; free 25 song free trial.]
[Buy music from Insound.]
[Find/Listen/Download music at The Hype Machine.]
[Photo credit goes to maya.bird on flickr.]

Labels: , , , , , ,