Tuesday, September 19, 2006

SHOW: Panther / Envelopes / Ratatat







Got a chance to catch an excellent show at the Great American Music Hall here in San Francisco last night. The crowd was certainly into Ratatat and were more than open to the opening acts, Panther and Envelopes.

I was totally impressed with Panther (myspace). So impressed that I picked up one of his special edition tour cd's, which are all self-recorded. There's a proper release coming out soon enough on Frykbeat Records. Here are some tracks off of that, you can get more from the myspace page if you're into it. Weird sample/rap/electronica stuff, sorry I don't know any of the track names (it's a CDR, what do you expect?).

::: Panther - Tour CD Track Two
::: Panther - Tour CD Track Three
::: Panther - Tour CD Track Twelve

Envelopes (myspace), a ice little Swedish experimental pop band, were also quite excellent. They've got a new album coming out (a follow up to the excellent Demon release). So keep an eye out for that. Here are some Demon tracks. [Sister in Love is a dang catchy song.]

::: Envelopes - Sister In Love
::: Envelopes - It Is The Law
::: Envelopes - Isabel And Leonard

And last but not least, I was more than impressed with Ratatat (myspace). I was admittedly skeptical on how they'd play out live, but it was much better than I thought it could be. They were able to play on the dramatic effects of their music, and the sound in the venue was spot on. Plus, the visuals (shown behind them by an LCD projector) were awesome. I'm really excited about a mixtape coming out soon, similar with their last release. Anyone have any news on that? OK, here are some previously posted ratatats.

::: Ratatat - Lex
::: Ratatat - Wildcat (E*vax Remix)
::: Ratatat - Desert Eagle

The remix of Wildcat comes off the limited edition 12" single (I got one of those, too). Originally posted by the good folks over at Gorilla vs Bear, an excellent blog if I say so myself. You can buy a copy for yourself for the ridiculously low price of $4.16 over at Insound.

If you do happen to head over to Insound for some music, here are some tips for saving money:
(a) play the easy back-to-school game for 20% an order (not including preorders)
(b) order more than $30 of stuff for free shipping
(c) or use the code "ilovesummer10" for 10% any order (including preorders)

[Photo credit goes to a-man-duh. Nice colors on these concert shots. And, I know these aren't from the SF show but I forgot my camera and hers were dope.]